About the FHSS Writing Lab
The FHSS Writing Lab is a free writing service that assists students within the BYU College of Family, Home and Social Sciences. Our advisors are friendly undergraduate students from a variety of social science disciplines who have extensive writing experience and are trained in teaching writing. We offer individual, face-to-face sessions where we serve to help students become better writers by focusing on the global aspects of writing, such as thesis construction, organization, transitions, idea development, logical coherence, style, and argument clarity. Students can walk in or schedule an appointment via email or telephone, or by reserving a time online. We welcome writers and their papers at any stage in the writing process.
The advisors in the FHSS Writing Lab are undergraduate students from a wide variety of disciplines within the College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences. They have been chosen as staff members based on their writing experience and tutoring skills. Each advisor has an individual approach, but all have the same goal: to help students better understand and enjoy the writing process.
Our Writing Advisors
Brooke served her mission in Huancayo, Peru for 8 months before being reassigned to the Boston, Massachusetts mission due to COVID19 where she finished the remainder of her service. She is excited to be back at BYU and keep on loving life.
Preparing for a Visit to the FHSS Writing Lab
To make the most of your visit to the FHSS Writing Lab, please come prepared with the following:
- A copy of the assignment.
- A copy of your draft, either hard copy or on a laptop. We will not work with a phone or a tablet.
- You are welcome to bring in your writing at any stage in the writing process (e.g. thesis, outline, introduction, incomplete draft).
- An idea of how we can help you with your paper. This can include appropriateness, focus, organization, development, introduction, conclusion, word choice, tone, or documentation style. Please note that we are neither grammar experts nor an editing service. By focusing on global issues, you can apply principles of writing on other papers and can become a better writer.
- We are happy to assist all students with global writing issues and assignment-specific requirements. Our advisors cannot provide ESL-specific grammar help or proofreading.